Food Find: Putting Healthy Food Choices in the Path of Everyday Life
Submission DeadlineSubmissions are Closed
Team MembersJiten Chhabra, Antoine Dove
FoodSwapper is an easy to use application that lets users select items and see if there are better trade-up options. The site tells users why the suggestion is better (lower sodium, less fat, etc.) and gives scores and full nutritional information. FoodSwapper aims to increase adherence to nutritional guidelines by helping people explore the universe of food combinations that surrounds them.
Help consumers/communities put healthy food choices in the path of everyday life.
The AHA Mission: Building a healthier world, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
2020 Goal: By 2020, to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20%, while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20%.
The American Heart Association Definition of a Healthy Diet:
- Fruits and vegetables: At least 4.5 cups a day
- Fish (preferably oily fish): At least two 3.5-ounce servings a week
- Fiber-rich whole grains: At least three 1-ounce-equivalent servings a day
- Sodium: Less than 1,500 mg a day
- Nuts, legumes and seeds: At least 4 servings a week
- Processed meats: No more than 2 servings a week
- Saturated fat: Less than 7% of total energy intake
Create an application that looks at food desert issues, triggers to drive people to healthier food choices and/or analysis that drives communities to identify and activate on food access issues in new ways.
- Judges will include representatives from consumer, health, medical and technical backgrounds. Tools will be evaluated as to the greatest potential to impact healthy eating behaviors.
- HHS Datasets
- Food Atlas
- Underserved Populations
- CDC/NCIS Data (sample)
- People in poverty with low access (measured by >1 mile walking or >10 minutes driving to a supermarket)
- Walkable within 1 mile to supermarket
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Data
- USDA Farmers Market Location Data Set
- Nutrition Database
- Healthy People 2020 Nutrition Objectives