Hokie Health Code-a-Thon
DatesApril 13-14, 2012
- First place will receive a $2,500 cash prize and five additional prizes of $500 will be awarded
The Hokie Health Code-a-thon 2012 will be a two-day coding competition, bringing together teams of student and professional developers to create innovative solutions to improve healthcare. This event has been developed in partnership with Health 2.0 and is part of the Health 2.0 Code-a-Thon series, which includes a range of developer-focused events in the United States, Europe and Asia.
The winning project will receive $2,500 and five runner-up projects will receive $500.
WHY ROANOKE-BLACKSBURG, VA?
Roanoke – Blacksburg is a regional medical hub for Southwest Virginia and is fast becoming the hub for educating the next generation health care innovators. Led by Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic, the region is home to leading healthcare and educational organizations including the VTC Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine.
The Region has been recognized by Forbes Magazine, Inc 500, and Wired Magazine as a hotbed for emerging technology companies with particular strengths in software and IT companies. The Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council leads the region’s technology community by promoting innovators and supporting entrepreneurs through networking events and peer forums, including a software developer peer forum and access to capital forum.
The Hokie Health Code-a-thon 2012 will leverage world-class student and professional software development talent with healthcare IT expertise to innovate and create solutions to healthcare problems.
The event will draw over 75 physicians, scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, students and enthusiasts that want to change the world and improve healthcare – all during an intense and enjoyable 2 days of hacking, developing, innovating and creating. The event will feature a number of excellent tech talks and buzz-worthy speakers discussing cutting edge issues in technology. The event the will culminate in a judging session with the best creations taking home cash prizes of $ 3,000 (and bragging rights).
HOW DO I REGISTER?
Registration is FREE. Seating is limited to 100 participants, so please register to reserve your seat today! Register HERE.
TechPad, a technology co-working space in downtown Blacksburg focused on providing an open collaboration environment for software product companies.
The conference hotel is the The Hilton Garden Inn, located at 900 Plantation Rd, Blacksburg, Virginia, 24060, (540) 552-5005. The hotel will provide conference rates for all attendees – please reference “RBTC” when reserving a room. Space is limited so please register ASAP! Reservations must be made by April 6th, 2012.
- Aneesh Chopra, Innovation in Health IT
- Aneesh Chopra was the first American Federal Chief Technology Officer of the United States (CTO). Chopra previously served as Virginia’s fourth Secretary of Technology. Prior to his government service, Chopra was Managing Director for the Advisory Board Company, a health care think tank for hospitals and health systems.
- Matthew Holt, Commercialization in Health IT
- Matthew spent the 1990s learning from the best to be a health care futurist at Institute for the future, and a survey researcher at Harris Interactive. In the early 2000s he spent time at a PHR start-up, but since then he’s been the author of The Health Care Blog, and co-chairman of Health 2.0—roles for which he was mostly
self-taught! Health 2.0 is a conference, a community and an innovation network that showcases the leading advances in health information technology on the web, mobile and other unplatforms.
- Eric Ries, Launching a Lean Startup (via Skype)
- Eric Ries is the creator of the Lean Startup methodology and the author of the popular entrepreneurship blog Startup Lessons Learned. He previously co-founded and served as Chief Technology Officer of IMVU. In 2007, BusinessWeek named Ries one of the Best Young Entrepreneurs of Tech and in 2009 he was honored with a TechFellow award in the category of Engineering Leadership.
- Greg Downing, Innovation in Health IT
- Gregory Downing, D.O., Ph.D. is the Executive Director for Innovation in the Immediate Office of the Secretary at the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). His primary responsibilities are focused on the promotion of innovation and entrepreneurship activities across HHS. Prior to his arrival at HHS in 2006, Dr. Downing served at the National Institutes of Health since 1993 in research, policy, and program management roles. Dr. Downing earned his medical degree from Michigan State University and his Ph.D. in pharmacology from the University of Kansas.
- Friday, April 13
- 1:30-2:00 pm - Registration and Welcome
- 2:00-2:10 pm - Kick off remarks from Bob Summers, TechPad & Elizabeth Falcone, Senator Warners office
- 2:10-3:00 pm - Session 1: Health IT Opportunities & Big Data
- 2:10-2:30 pm – Innovation in Health IT, Aneesh Chopra
- 2:30-2:50 pm – Big Data, Greg Downing
- 2:50-3:10 pm – Commercialization, Matthew Holt
- 3:15-4:00 pm – Session 2: Challenges from Providers
- 3:15-3:30 pm - Kay Hix & Steve Morgan, Carilion Clinic
- 3:30-3:45 pm - Terri Ripley, Centra Health
- 3:45-4:00 pm - R&D Team from Epic
- 4:00-4:30 pm – Eric Ries, “Launching a Lean Startup”
- 4:30-5:00 pm - Session 3: Innovators in the Market
- 4:30-4:45 pm - Peter Lazar, eBroselow
- 4:45-5:00 pm - Ashish Kachru, Altruista Health
- 5:00-11:00 pm - Team Building
- 5:30 pm - Idea Presentations
- 6:30 pm - Pizza Party (sponsored by PK's)
- Saturday, April 14
- 8:30 am – Breakfast and Caffeine (provided by 1901 Group)
- 12:00 pm - Lunch (provided by Sharkeys)
- 3:00 pm – Team Presentations (5 min pitch, 5 min Q & A)
- 5:30 pm – Winners Announced
- A review panel comprised of subject matter experts will be announced at the event
100 POINTS MAX
- Use/Incorporation of Data (out of 40)
- Creativity and Innovation (out of 20)
- Productivity (out of 20)
- Presentatoin (out of 20)
432 North Main Street, Suite 200