Dr. B.R Lakshmi is the Founder and Director of Molecular Diagnostics, Counseling, Care & Research Centre (MDCRC), India. With a strong passion to serve the community, she brings in more than 8 years of experience in the field of Public Health and 7 years of Biotechnology Industry experience in the areas of Product Development and Business Management. She has previously held senior-level positions in Aqua Stride Biotech, Chennai, Piscean Chemicals, Singapore and Kemin Industries, Chennai.
The passion to serve in the area of Public Health first came into action in 2004 when she started an initiative with the World Health Organization (WHO) on Malabsorption in children fed under the noon meal scheme by the Integrated Child Developmental Scheme (ICDS). Even though the project was aborted prematurely due to shift of funds to Tsunami Relief (December 2004), it was very well received by the State Government.
Dr. Lakshmi then headed the Molecular Diagnostic Facility at Sundaram Medical Foundation Hospital, Chennai under the Stitching Porticus, a Dutch grant, between 2005-2009. The prime focus of the facility was diagnostics of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, an orphan disorder with no public awareness and industry support. Under her leadership, MDF became a state of the art facility which provided free services in a professional manner to the affected community. She expanded the diagnostic services to counseling, one of the very few organizations in the country to do so. Dr. Lakshmi always believed in involving students and making them aware of current social issues and empowering them to be agents of outreach. Keeping this as the main motive, as the Dutch grant came to a close, she initiated MDCRC as an alumni initiative at Avinashilingam University of Women, her alma mater. The project was supported by the University and by a grant from the Foundation to Eradicate Duchenne. The organization has since then become an independent registered charitable trust, with its premises at Kurinji Hospital, Coimbatore, for which Dr. Lakshmi serves as the Director and Managing Trustee.
Dr. B.R Lakshmi holds a Doctorate degree in Genetics and Biochemistry from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Chennai, India.
Awards and Fellowships
- Gold medal for the best student award for the year 1985 –1987 honoring all round achievement.
- Best seminar presentation at the Association of Microbiologists- India 1992
- Best poster presentation at the Association of Microbiologists- India 1992
- Best Thesis Award of the year, for the M.Sc. project 1989.
- Recipient of the Junior Research Fellowship (1989) to work towards the Ph.D.
- Awarded the Young Woman Scientist Award by the Talwar Research Foundation – year 1994
- Best outgoing employee award- 2001,2003.
- Award to R&D on cost saving with alternate resources, 2003.